Thursday, April 15, 2004

Excerpt: What I'd Do: a suikoden2 fanfic
listening to: Ragnarok Online - Labyrinth
wishes for: more suikoden2 Jowy/Riou fanfics, whether lemon, lime or shounen ai!!


A gentle breeze ruffled his now long hair. Riou did not make a move to clear his eyes of the now-long bangs. In fact, he did not move at all.

"Grandpa, do you think I could have done something to have prevented this? Do you think I made the wrong decision?" Riou asked the silent grave. He knew that it would not answer back. What was once dead could never come back to life, he heard someone said that before. "Could I have kept Nanami and Jowy with me all the time? Or is Fate just too cruel to me? Or am I just so unlucky?"

Memories took him back to his childhood days, on that day that he met Jowy Atreides, the son of the rich man north of Kyaro Town. At first, Jowy was shy, but he slowly opened up to him. And Grandpa Genkaku was just as glad that Jowy joined in their training. Jowy was his first real friend, and he probably was Jowy's first, too.

Riou remembered that he and Jowy used to get in trouble a lot, and that his big sister Nanami would be there to get them out of trouble. He also remembered that day when he and Jowy buried their secret treasure and not let Nanami know about it. Then there were the days that they trained together, sneaking peeks over the high wall just to see Princess Jillia, Grandpa Genkaku's death, their joining the Unicorn Brigade...

...And then that night when they were first truly separated. That night when Luca Blight and Commander Rowd staged the 'ambush' on the Unicorn Brigade. That was the start of it all. Maybe I should have convinced Jowy not to jump. Maybe we should have fought our way. Maybe we shouldn't have joined the army at all.

"Do you think it's my fault Jowy went away, Grandpa? Is it my fault?" Riou's vision blurred. This time, he could not wipe away the tears. They kept falling, streaming down from his eyes. "Was it also my fault to have dragged Nanami in this mess?" Riou hugged himself. The wind became colder and the sky darkened.

"Grandpa, I know that I couldn't change what already happened... But if there was some way that I could, I would. Grandpa Genkaku, I'd change the past if I could. If I had the power to," Riou sobbed.

"All I wanted was for us to live together, Grandpa. Was that wish too impossible, Grandpa?"

The sky dimmed, and started to cry. Soft droplets of water fell on the earth, on Genkaku's grave, and on the dark-clad Riou. Slowly at first and then the rain started to pour. Riou still knelt before Genkaku's grave, sobbing with the sky.

No comments: